There are just two more weeks until Christmas. But I know some people really struggle to get into the holiday spirit or just don’t feel as excited as they usually do.
So if your holiday spirit is running low, here are 10 steps to letting in the sights, sounds, and tastes of Christmas and getting into the holiday spirit.
1. Turn on the holiday tunes. Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit faster than music. Once you hear those familiar notes, those same strains you’ve been singing along with since you were 5, the warm and fuzzy Christmas feelings come rushing back. But to have maximum effect, you’ve got to listen to the good stuff, the classics. And sing along. Because as Buddy the Elf has wisely instructed us, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.” Here’s a few of my favorites:
- “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
- “Holly Jolly Christmas” by Burl Ives
- “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Bing Crosby
- “Sleigh Ride” by Johnny Mathis
- “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams
2. Watch some old school Christmas cartoons.
Nothing gets more into the spirit of Christmas than the world of children! Utilise this and their energy.
“Christmas Comes But Once a Year”
Another good one is “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer”
3. Make some hot chocolate or eggnog.
“Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.” ~Washington Irving
4. Throw a holiday party. Planning the food, decorations, and tunes will thrust you head-first into the holidays. And the party will warm your spirit with the company of friends and family.
5. Watch a Christmas movie. You’ve seen them a million times, but they never fail to pull at the heart strings. Here are my go-to films for getting a dose of the Christmas spirit:
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- A Christmas Story
- A White Christmas
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- A Miracle on 34th Street
- Peanuts’ Christmas Special
7. Look at Christmas lights. Nothing quite puts the Christmas magic back in your heart like Christmas lights. Ordinary houses and trees are transformed into something extraordinary. It’s seeing the Christmas lights that lets you know it’s a special time of year. Drive around town and check out the neighborhood displays. Also be sure to check out the massive displays that are sometimes put on in parks by community organizations, where you can walk around in a winter wonderland of millions of lights.
8. Put up a tree. At the very least, put up a tree; it will bring the sights, lights, and smell of Christmas to your abode. Get a real tree that will give off that all important scent of pine. If you don’t have the room or money for a real tree, get one of those mini trees. Decorate it with some tiny ornaments.
Take a sleigh or horse drawn carriage ride, go to an outdoor skating rink, look at the lights, and then make some cocoa and snuggle by the fire.
10. Go see a play or pantomime
What do you do to get into the holiday spirit? What are your favorite Christmas songs and movies?