6 Ways To Get The Most From The Spring Countdown – http://wp.me/p2Ha1C-2io
Here we are in March, and depending on where you are in the country, winter is either in full force or nonexistent. Either way, it’s about this time of year that we all start to get excited about the new season. Timing is just has a better ring to it this time of year and from relationships to real estate, it’s time to renew and reenergize. How do you bring in the new season? Do you look at it with new eyes and a reimagining of your business and life?
With the countdown at two weeks, technically, the new season brings with it the sunshine, warmer weather, outdoor activity and gets us out of the house and into the world. It’s easy to get caught up in the trappings of inclement weather and before our very eyes, everything slows down. So, now’s your opportunity to get up and get to it!
You may have a thriving business and as you look around you say, “What winter?” However, for many of us, the hibernation factor kicks in and at the very least gets us pining for warmer weather.
You may think the transition from winter to spring is an easy one, or just happens naturally, and yes, you may be right. Yet, it’s the opportunity to use it as a springboard that separates the gradual transition, vanilla approach and the slingshot, life at the speed of light, roller coaster ride that propels us from surviving and into thriving.
Here are a few tips to shake out the cobwebs of winter and prepare to launch into spring. In other words, Spring clean your life. Many times over the holidays, winter, the New Year and just ‘colder-keep-us-inside’ weather, we tend to hunker down and wait it out. I call it hibernation mode. Sometimes it’s for the entire season, a week or two here and there or just certain parts of a given day. Now is the time to take a look at who you are and where you’re going.
- Check in on your goals. Re-evaluate your intentions. Ask yourself again, what is your most important objective for being an air breather. Most of us have goals. A direction. It’s often said that if you aim for nothing you hit it with amazing accuracy! Is that you? Have you set goals and now they’ve found their way into your closet? Now is the time to rekindle the fire you had when you set them. If not now. when? Exactly.
- Size up your relationships. Yes, the ones you’re intimate with, your friends, work associates, even family. Are they encouraging you to move in the direction of your choosing, or are they keeping you inside that box and tightening the spring of frustration. Remember, it’s your choice. You command your own life, so if you have relationships that are a little toxic, trim the fat. Cut the cord. Blood does not a family make. Just ’cause they are your family, doesn’t mean they get a pass in treating you with disrespect. Move on, move out, live forward and keep your eyes open for new, empowering relationships. Don’t forget to enhance and cultivate the ones you have, either.
- Get rid of it! Yes, declutter, donate, discard. If you must, sell it, but be prepared to give it away. Don’t let a few dollars keep you from freeing up your space. If you have a closet full of clothes, only keep the ones that make you feel strong and amazing. When you have a bunch of stuff that is occupying your life, from clothes to cars to anything that fills in our homes, it weighs heavy on you. Even if it’s packed away where no one but your subconscious can see it! Here’s a fun trick… Pretend you’re moving into a home that’s half the size of the one you live in now. Look at your life with new eyes and respond accordingly. You’ll see that this effort liberates you and makes you lighter in all you do. Which equals moving through life at a pace that gives you renewed energy. P.S. Do the same with your workspace!
- Fitness focus. We’ve all heard the exercise programs and savvy advice for the perfect workout, but if you’re in hibernation mode, start with the Kaizen Way. If you’re in the habit of only exercising your thumb on the TV remote, stand up and march in place during the commercials. Then next week, do light calisthenics for the entire program, and so on. Pretty soon, TV won’t interest you anymore. This method tricks your body into not giving you the resistance you’ve had before when you’ve attempted a workout plan. If you’re into fitness already, you don’t need me or anyone else to tell you what better weather does for your energy. Get out and go for it!
- Go to sleep, my little baby… Don’t skimp on the value of a good night’s sleep. Don’t beat yourself up over waking up in the middle of the night. Don’t broadcast to your friends that you can’t sleep. Okay, enough of the don’ts. If you’re having a little trouble with the sleep thing, then re-evaluate your routine. Are you watching TV or eating within a couple hours of bedtime? Are you waking up to pee and then grabbing your phone to tell all your friends you can’t sleep? C’mon, man! Turn your phone off, finish any dinner, work, TV or technology at least an hour before bed. Two is better, three is perfect.
- Become one with the everything. Worship the quiet. Cherish the noiseless. Meditating before bed and clearing your mind of its thoughts is not only good medicine for your soul but excellent for your health. Having trouble keeping your mind quiet? Is it a three ring circus when you try to shut it off? No worries. I’ve been meditating for years and it still takes me ten minutes time for my mind to slow down. If you’re saying, ‘I’ve tried meditation and it doesn’t work for me…’ then you haven’t tried it. It needs a chance, give it time. You and your body deserve this. If you’re thinking, ‘prayer is my meditation,’ that’s the exact opposite of meditation. Prayer is about internally or externally verbalizing which doesn’t allow your thoughts to slow and eventually stop. Quiet. Shhh. Yes, no thought. If you want to pray, go for it. Just don’t do it right before bed if you’re having trouble falling asleep. There is also so much research on the positive effects of meditation, one would ask, ‘what are you waiting for?’
These ideas should get you going for Spring. It’s a time of rejuvenation and rebirth. You’re never too (old, young, out of shape, unhealthy, weak, or any excuse you’re thinking of) to revamp your life into something you want to create, or always have wanted to.