WHY GOAL SETTING HELPS ME
I suffer from depression and anxiety. I know for me this particular time of year that I always drop. I see everyone going outside and doing more because it’s summer enjoying their time, and I often beat myself up because I am not doing as much or my depression leaves me too tired to really enjoy the summer.
Often this leads to a massive drop in motivation and I do a lot less. I have lots of things I want to do but I just can’t find the get-up and go to do them.
I have however found that goal setting helps motivate me. You have to find things you really want to achieve and will be motivated to do and take little steps towards them.
THE PROCESS OF GOAL SETTING – WHAT TO DO
To do this it is worth thinking about the top 5 values you have in your life. This may be things like achievement, family, health e.t.c. You can then come up with some short, long and mid term goals in these areas.
Each goal can be broken down into little more manageable steps and this helps me work towards something bigger and helps me feel like I am making progress towards the things I want to achieve in my life.
I have attached the FREE PDF I have created to help me set out and manage my goals. It works along side the SMART goals principle. The idea that for you to achieve a goal it must be SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, ATTAINABLE, REALISTIC AND TIME ORIENTATED.
- The main goal column provides space for you to set a general goal.
- The 2nd column allows you to specify exactly what you will need to do to achieve that goal and helps you break it into achievable realistic steps.
- The 3rd column allows you to set a realistic time frame. One that applies some pressure to get the action step done, but not too much that it becomes un achievable.
- The 4th column helps you visualize what your situation will look like when you have achieved the action step. It has been proven that visualization and seeing yourself achieve a goal can actually help with motivation and your ability to reach it. This column also provides you with a measurable outcome so you know when you have achieved your action step.
- Finally review your goal setting planner regularly and mark off when you have achieved different action steps. Marking things off is satisfying and motivates you to do more!
HOW OFTEN DO YOU NEED TO REVIEW AND CREATE NEW GOAL SHEETS?
Your short term goals planning sheet should be reviewed regularly as you near achieving your main goals.
Your mid-term goals should be reviewed every 6 months
And the progress you are making towards your long term goals should be reviewed every year.
I hope this has been helpful. I would be really interested to know what your goals are both short, long and mid term and how useful you have found my planning worksheet. Let me know in the comments below!